RULES - 13U A
Games will be played according to the Baseball Canada Rulebook unless superseded by the league rules:
1 . Spirit of the League
- Please be reminded that the Golden West League is a development or recreational level league. The spirit of the games and rules have been set to ensure fair and equal play for all participants in a less competitive environment.
- All coaches are encouraged to let the players experience playing all positions during the course of the season unless in the coaches’ opinion the safety of a player is jeopardized by playing a particular position.
- There are UNLIMITED SUBSTITUTIONS (with the exception of the pitcher) and all players bat. If a pitcher leaves the position, he cannot return to pitch again in the same game.
- A player is not to sit more than 2 consecutive inning during the game, and no player shall sit more than two innings in a game until all players have sat at least two innings.
- For interlocking games, the HOST team is responsible for having the diamond ready and umpires booked. For non-interlocking games, this will be the home team’s responsibility.
- For all games, the home team is responsible for game balls.
- The dimensions of the field will be as follows:
- Distance between all bases will be 70 feet
- Distance between the front of the pitcher’s rubber to home plate shall be 48 feet
- Lastly, please remember that the coaches are responsible for your fans and parents in the stands. If a parent’s behavior is intolerable or abusive to any participant in the game you may be asked by the umpire or other game participants to ask for that parent to leave the ballpark. If unsuccessful in doing so, your team may forfeit the game.
2. Start of Games - Definition of an Official Game - and Mercy Rules
- Evening games start at 6:30 PM with no new inning to start after 8:30 PM (official time is determined by the umpire’s watch). The umpire may extend the ending time of a game, if the game started late.
- There must be at least 7 players to s tart a game. If there are not 7 players available by 6:30 PM the team short will have 5 minutes to have the required number of players on the field or shall forfeit the game.
- For interlocking games, HOST teams are responsible for cancelling games because of bad weather, and must contact the visiting teams coach by 5:00pm of the night of the game. If the visiting team hasn’t heard from the Host coach, they are to show up at the diamond to play the game. For non-interlocking games, this shall be the home team’ s responsibility.
- There shall be 7 innings per game. There must be 2 complete innings for an official game in the event of rain or darkness.
- There is a 5 run mercy rule per inning. A complete inning will end when both teams have either 3 (three) outs or 5 (five) run scored. This rule will remain in effect throughout the entire game. The last inning is not open.
- If after the 4th inning a team is ahead by 15 runs or more, a 15 run mercy rule will apply, with the win being awarded to the team with the higher score. If both teams agree, the game can continue regardless.
3. Pitching Rules
- All pitchers will be allowed to pitch no more than 2 consecutive innings per game and no more than 7 per week, keeping in mind that if the pitcher pitches on a REP team whose innings will count toward the weekly total for innings pitched.
- A pitcher leaving that position cannot return to pitch again in the same game.
- If the pitcher throws 1 pitch, he will be charged with 1 inning pitched whether he remains in the game at that position or not.
- Pitchers will only be allowed 5 warm-up pitches when they enter the game and 5 pitches during any subsequent innings. It would be appreciated if the coaches would warm up their pitchers on the sidelines whenever possible.
- A catcher in a game IS permitted to enter as a pitcher. However, if a player has pitched in a game, he is NOT permitted to catch in the same game.
- Pitchers must pitch from the pitching rubber. Pitchers are NOT permitted to move up. While the league acknowledges that so me players struggle pitching from regulation distance, this rule is out of concern for the safety of the pitcher on a hard - hit ball coming back to him/her.
4. Keeping a Good Pace to the Game
- A courtesy runner for the catcher may be used when there are 2 outs in the inning and the catcher is on base.
- The Batter is automatically out on a third strike. The batter is not allowed to advance to 1st base on a 3rd strike (called or swung at), if the ball is not caught by the catcher.
5. Equipment Requirements
- All players are required to wear proper equipment in the field of play. Field of play is defined to include the bull - pen areas. Required equipment includes:
- Jersey - tucked in.
- Helmets must fit properly. Chin straps are no longer required.
- Catchers must have proper gear. Bullpen or warm - up catchers must have a mask on.
- Met al Bats are r equired to be no bigger than 2 3 /4 inches in diameter. Wood bats ARE permitted.
6. Reporting the Game Results
- It is the responsibility of the winning team, or in the event of a tie the home team to report the games scores, within 24 hours of the game completion. Scores are to be reported clicking on the link provided on the HOME page of the Golden West League Website. PLEASE ensure that you select the correct link AND fill in ALL information requested. Schedules and standings will be available for viewing on the Golden West League web site as well.
- The web address for the Golden West league: www.ballcharts.com/goldenwestleague
7. Affiliated Players
- A team may use affiliated players if they are going to have less than 9 players at that game.
- Affiliated players must be registered with Baseball Alberta. They may be taken from other house teams in the same league or from teams in a lower league (PeeWees can use Mosquito affiliates, Mosquitos can use Senior Rookie affiliates). Affiliated players must have permission from the coach of their regular team in order to be allowed to affiliate for another team. This rule applies only in the regular season.
- Affiliates cannot be used for the playoffs.
- A team must field a minimum of 7 players.