FIELD USE PROTOCOLS
South Jasper Place Minor Baseball Association
Callingwood Park Field Use Protocols
Prior to taking the field at Callingwood Diamonds, please ensure you are familiar with the SJP Return to Train Protocols as well the appropriate public health guidelines and City of Edmonton guidelines regarding field usage.
Below, we have listed the most important “Need to Know” points. For full details please see the following documents:
Government of Alberta Guidance for Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation - Stage 2
South Jasper Place Minor Baseball Association Return to Train Protocols
Before Arriving at the Field
- All players must have completed the pre-session check-in 24 hours prior to the session to indicate both the player and people in the same household are not experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, have not tested positive for COVID-19, have been in close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case and have not travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days.
- Ensure players have their own equipment. Baseballs will be shared among a single team and cleaning protocols will be in place before and after sessions. No other equipment is to be shared at any time.
- All teams will require parent volunteers to maintain the attendance log and perform proper cleaning of equipment before and after each session. Sign up for these duties will be available in TeamSnap through the Assignments section. If these positions are not filled 2 hours prior to the session, the session will be cancelled.
Arriving at the Field
At all times, players, coaches and spectators that are not from the same household must maintain proper physical distancing of 2 metres or more.
Bathrooms will be available to players, coaches and spectators at Callingwood Park.
- All players are to be dressed in their equipment (including baseball cleats) prior to coming to the practice field.
- All players should have their own hand sanitizer. SJP will try to provide teams/fields with supplies, but this will not always be possible depending on availability of supplies.
- Callingwood Fields will have directional signage in place to indicate entry and exit points for all fields. Players and coaches are expected to follow the directions.
- All dugouts are closed to players, coaches and any other personnel.
- Players’ personal gear can be placed 10 feet (3m) apart along the baseline fences in order to maintain proper physical distancing.
During the Session/Practice
- SJP Grounds staff, coaches and volunteers will be responsible for setting up the field with any necessary equipment including bases, L-Screens, bownets, etc. All equipment will be cleaned prior to practice and following practice. SJP encourages all teams to coordinate these responsibilities prior to practice using email and/or TeamSnap.
- Coaches/leaders will ensure all participants are practicing physical distancing and proper hygiene including frequent hand sanitizing and avoiding touching face. SJP is working on acquiring hand sanitizer that can be provided to each team, but we also encourage players to bring their own.
- Coaches and leaders will be familiar with which activities are permitted during practice at all times. For further guidance, please contact SJP at any time. We strongly encourage coaches and leaders to plan practices ahead of time to avoid downtime during the session.
- Refreshment breaks should be staggered for players to help maintain physical distancing requirements.
- IN CASE OF INCLEMENT WEATHER: In the event of weather that requires players to take shelter, players will be expected to return to their own vehicle and practice will end immediately. With dugouts closed during this phase, there is no shelter available to wait out any weather delays.
Following Practice / Session
- Teams are responsible for coordinating the proper cleaning of any equipment that was used by the team. This includes L-Screens and nets. Further details on batting cages below.
- Following the session, players and spectators must leave the field. Players are not permitted to change on the field following the session.
- Coaches, volunteers and/or grounds staff will be responsible for takedown of field equipment such as bases and L-screens. Equipment must be cleaned prior to being stored.
- Groups are responsible for cleaning any high touch surfaces at the end of practice.
- Team baseballs must be cleaned following practice.
Use of batting cages is limited to scheduled times only.
- Each team will use a designated coach per session for throwing BP in the batting cage.
- If possible, the batting cage door should be left open to avoid repeated touching by players.
- Players will leave batting gloves on at all times when using the batting cage.
- Only 1 player plus the coach permitted in the cage at a time.
- Teams are encouraged to use smaller groups at the batting cage as opposed to the entire team.
- Team members waiting outside the cage must maintain proper physical distancing.
- Coach inside the cage will be responsible for picking up balls.
- Upon completion of a team’s session in the batting cage, all high-touch surfaces must be cleaned by the team (cage door, L-screen, etc).